Sunday 13 November 2011

Brewers fayre at Belmont make you feel at home-literally

....and not in the good way!

My male companion, (not what you are thinking, we used to call each other cousins )is off on a trip around the world, so as we hadn't seen each other for a while we agreed on meeting at Brewers fayre in Belmont Industrial estate for a meal to say our not so emotional goodbyes.

Maybe it was our faults for choosing mid week when everyone is tired, praying for the weekend (unless you work them!) and ready for a "half time" break, but our service wasn't exactly up to scratch!

As we entered at 7pm, we found our own table and sat, after choosing from the menu, which I have to say has quite a good choice I went to the bar to order, where I was told it was table service, weird because no-one had arrived at our table in the half an hour we had been there but like the good girl I am, I did as I was told and  I went back to the table and sat waiting patiently.

We sat a while longer, in the meantime a couple came and sat opposite us, who it turned out my male companion had just met in Jacuzzi in the gym, (I didn't ask any questions)

A waiter eventually came and served the jacuzzi couple while completely ignoring us, now my male companion had been to this pub earlier in the day with another female companion, so I thought maybe the staff are just against extra marital activities which is fair enough.

I eventually caught a waiters attention by lowering my top and hitching my skirt a little (not really!) where we ordered our starters, I had Cajun king prawn, and my companion ordered duck parcels & garlic bread, the food arrived quite quickly and was indeed very enjoyable, (the jacuzzi couple seemed to be enjoying their food too.)
While we waited for our table to be cleared and to order our mains I noticed jacuzzi couple where still getting excellent table service!

After around 45minutes of waiting and talking about myself, and hearing jacuzzi couple complain to the waiter who was doting on them that he hadn't put lemon in their drinks or something random like that, I got a bit bored so we agreed to skip mains and went to the bar and ordered some desserts and coffees and paid the tab.

I ordered a tasting platter, where you can chose 3 of the desserts on the menu and get a smaller version of each, I went with Eaton mess, profiteroles and pecan pie, my companion went for the full plate of profiteroles and an americano. (coffee for those of you who, like me, are not well learned in the world of beverages).

Another long wait ensued and this is the point I felt right at home, because at home I don't get anything unless I get up make it and get it myself, and I don't have the privilege of paying for it or paying "gratitude" for the "service"

I was getting a little impatient at this point but politely asked if we had been forgotten, to which the waiter replied they "had no record of us ordering any desserts!", now I knew they had a grudge against us!

After an emotional breakdown and a "why do I have to do everything for everyone" speech, I felt completely at home and eventually managed to calm the waiter! (not really!)  he then went and got us some desserts and they  arrived quite quickly after this, the pecan pie was quite sickly but the rest was nice and they both came with mini jugs of pouring cream, I can't comment on the americano as I had to collect that from the bar and spilt the majority of it walking back to our table.

So if you want to go somewhere where you practically have to serve yourself and have the chance of meeting jacuzzi going couples but the food is nice and reasonably priced then this is the place to be, it hasn't got a play area as many people seem to think but it does have a nice "ambiance" if you are just there to have a drink, and maybe we just chose the wrong day?.............

No comments:

Post a Comment